First official trailer for The Giver is released! [video]

The Giver by Lois Lowry is one of my all time favorite books so when Jeff Bridges' big screen adaptation was given the green light I was both excited and nervous. Questions about how they would film certain elements of the story rushed into my head as I am sure every other fan's heads. Well some of those questions may have gotten answers today as the first official trailer was released!

The film will star Jeff Bridges as the Giver, Brenton Thwaites as Jonas, as well as Meryl Streep, Katie Holmes, Alexander Skarsgard, and Taylor Swift.
"In a seemingly perfect community, without war, pain, suffering, differences or choice, a young boy is chosen to learn from an elderly man about the true pain and pleasure of the "real" world."
Watch the trailer for The Giver below and see if the film will do the book justice.

The Giver will hit theaters on August 15, 2014.




Since this is the first trailer we are seeing for the film I do not want to judge it too hard yet but I had envisioned the community to look much different and Jonas being older than 11 (his age in the book) will take some getting used to. The tone of the book seems to be present in this trailer which is nice but I was quite surprised to see that they may have given away part of the ending in this trailer. And is anyone else really concerned that they may have just completely done away with the huge twist in the middle of the book? (Think apples.) If they didn't, how will they explain it? In the book, the readers experience the twist along with the characters but obviously it will be different here.

As I said this is one of my all time favorite books so I will definitely see this film. However, I'm a little nervous about it.

Source: YouTube - JoBlo Movie Trailers

Comments