Mark Hamill shares his thoughts on Star Wars: The Force Awakens on reuniting with Harrison Ford, the ball droid being an actual prop, and more!

Mark Hamill stands ready with Jedi Mickey!
Mark Hamill recently sat down with Yahoo Movies and spoke about several things concerning Star Wars: The Force Awakens that fans are very excited to hear about.

During the interview he spoke about the beard that he had to grow for the film, the "ball droid", BB-8, from the film's trailer, and reuniting with actor Harrison Ford.

When asked about his beard he replied,
"That is what I call my contractually obligated beard. Listen: I think they look fine on other people. It’s just not me. I mean, I never got used to it. But face foliage is almost a part of the costume. And it does bring a gravitas, perhaps unearned, but nevertheless, it makes a statement that they wanted to make, and I’m more than happy to oblige them."
When asked if he was surprised that he was not in the first trailer Hamill responded and spoke about the focus of the story.
"Not really. This is about the new generation of characters; I think that’s the most important thing. It’s the opening act of a whole new approach to the storytelling. So I never thought that the stories would be – first of all, I never thought I’d be involved in it again, period. And then when George [Lucas] said that they wanted to do more, I rightly assumed that it wouldn’t be our story, because we had a beginning, a middle, and an end. This must be our offspring and the current generation, with us there lending the kind of support that Peter Cushing and Alec Guinness did in the original. So no, that didn’t surprise me.  And I mean, I’m one of those people where I just think, “Keep me out of it. I’ll ruin it, I’m sure!” [Laughs] I’ll show up and just ruin the whole thing."
Next, Hamill speaks about reuniting with Harrison Ford.
"Well, you know, he was someone that was unpredictable. I hadn’t seen him in years; I didn’t know what his feelings were. I know he’s sometimes grown impatient with people that don’t want to focus on what he’s doing currently and want to go stroll down memory lane. God knows, I’m used to that sort of thing. But who knew? And for him to jump back in so enthusiastically, I was delighted. It’s a wonderful character. Everybody loves Han Solo."
Lastly, and most excitingly, Hamill talks about how the "ball droid" that we see in the trailer is an actual prop and not CG. Fantastic! (*The "ball droid"'s name, or call number, in the film is BB-8.)
"They never cease to amaze me with what they’re able to come up with, you know? I said, 'How are you ever gonna top R2-D2, the most adorable droid in movie history?' And then they have this new one. I can’t even tell you his name, but you saw it in the trailer. And when they were demonstrating how they did this thing, live on set — because it’s not CGI, that’s a live prop — I was just amazed. They let me play around with it. [Laughs] I was running it all around at the creature shop up in Pinewood. I’m telling you, it’s an absolute delight. And not having thought that I’d ever go back there, to go back into that world, is just – I get the chills. It’s just so much fun."
It's so cool that BB-8 is an actual prop! I'd love to see how it works and looks in person!

What do you think about what Hamill had to say concerning the new film? Are you as excited as I am to see how this film turns out and see where they take the characters and story?

Source: Yahoo Movies

Comments