Rapid Fire Review - Spider-Man: Homecoming.


In Realm Beyond Sight's "Rapid Fire Review" I hit the good, the bad, and try to get out before the review becomes too long winded. In this new review I take a look at the newest Spider-Man film Spider-Man: Homecoming.

I'll start by saying that Spider-Man: Homecoming is a solid film. I might even say that it borders on being an amazing film. However, there are definitely small faults to this film and I only say that as a lifelong Spider-Man fan who has high standards for my number one hero.

This film really does get so much right. It is wonderful to see Peter Parker still in high school trying to figure out how to balance his life as a teenager and a super hero and in turn trying to figure out where he belongs as a new super hero. This aspect of the film was done perfectly. Another aspect that I was nervous about but is balanced nicely is the role of Tony Stark / Iron Man. Stark has his moments to shine but never outshines the main hero of this film. I applaud the rest of the cast which had wonderful chemistry together. Jacob Batalon as Ned was the perfect companion for Peter Parker. The chemistry between the two was great and the humor kept things light hearted. A few other aspects I enjoyed was seeing Peter out of the city and having to deal with not being able to web swing around, the overall humor of the film which a Spidey film should have, and lastly, the villains. Though there may have only been one main villain in this film, quite a number do make appearances. Of course there is Herman Shultz, aka the Shocker, but fans may have also caught Phineas Mason, aka the Tinkerer, and Mac Gargon, aka the Scorpion. Next up is the main villain Adrian Toomes, aka the Vulture. Michael Keaton nailed this role and gave a truly intimidating performance. What's even nicer is that Keaton's Vulture may be one of the best Marvel villains that we have seen to date. Intimidating, relatable, and capable of doing some real damage, this villain had it all. Well done. Then there is the Donald Glover character cameo as Aaron Davis, aka the Prowler and uncle to Miles Morales.

However, as noted, this film is not without faults. There were a few that stood out to me that bugged me. First, changing Peter's actions within the Captain America: Civil War scenes was not right. If you didn't want to show Peter cursing again when Giant Man appeared then choose a different moment to use. Next, I personally didn't care for this incarnation of Flash Thompson. Flash is supposed to be a bully to Peter in high school. It was alluded to that this Flash may be an intellectual bully to Peter but he in fact wasn't even that. The most he did to Peter was call him names which actually didn't seem to phase Peter too much so it doesn't give the character dynamic that those two should have. Next, and this one may upset people, is the Spider-Man suit. The look of the suit is fine but having all the Stark Tech inside it bothered me a bit. I wanted to see Spidey learning his abilities and creating new web combinations on his own but instead it is all pre-programmed in his suit. He even has the suit A.I., Karen, helping him along. I understand this is the direction of the MCU but it felt weird. Lastly, although having Ned know Peter's secret about him being Spider-Man helped push certain spots of the story, why does everyone have to know Peter's secret so soon? **SPOILER WARNING** I really did not like Aunt May finding out the secret at the end. It was a cheap laugh that wasn't necessary in my opinion. I also would have like to have seen Spidey in New York City but we'll get there soon.

In the end this is a truly great film. It has a Top 2 spot with Spider-Man 2 from 2004 for me. I haven't decided which tops the other yet. This is a Spidey film that fans have been waiting a long time for. I highly recommend seeing it as you'll definitely have a good time. It is filled with both Spider-Man and Avengers Easter eggs / references and it's a film that you'll want to watch over and over again.


RATING: 8.5 / 10

-----------
Show your support by "liking" and following my Facebook and Twitter accounts. Get the latest news and fun conversations! Facebook and Twitter - RealmBeyondS

Comments